Saturday, April 30, 2005

Urge to Kill Rising

I try to avoid excessive use of this blog as an exhaust pipe, but please grant me a little latitude on this one: why are professional sports being systematically driven off of network TV? Some of us enjoy sports. Out of the eight (8) NBA playoff round one games being played this weekend, ABC is broadcasting guess how many? One. All four games being played today, I just found out, are cable-exclusive events. The same goes for, I think, all of the Western Conference Finals, which can be seen (or not seen, as the case may be) on TNT this year. And of course, Monday Night Football is ESPN-bound. Someone of prominence at either ESPN or the NFL, forgive me for not remembering who, said in response to an outcry over this, "all you have to do is push a different button on your remote." Spoken like a true someone of prominence. I don't have cable. None of my friends have cable. Cable costs money. Fuck you.

So network TV holds onto playoff baseball and Sunday football, both of which are controlled by FOX. FOX is actually the model network for sports broadcasting now, at least in terms of sheer visibility. Between CBS, NBC and ABC, we're treated to: the NBA Finals, the Masters, I think Wimbledon, butt-ass arena football, and, naturally, six hours a week of NASCAR racing, which is about as involving as Joan of Arcadia on mute.

In other news, I'm currently rocking a Mac mini, which I'll be paying off in about four years or so, just as it reaches total hopeless obsolescence. I'm trying not to think about that at the moment. Instead I'm just enjoying what a marvel it is. It's the most powerful computer I've ever owned and it's the size of a cigar box. Once I Tiger it up it'll be even fabber. My only complaint at the moment, in fact, is that it's set a horribly unfair new gold standard for everything around it, in terms of aesthetic magnificence. I feel like my apartment contains one real object and a bunch of laughable simulacra. Like my coffemaker, for instance. That thing has never seemed stupider.

Finally, if you've checked the At Dusk website recently, you may have deduced that I've opened a Flickr account. Its purpose for the moment, lacking a camera as I do, is as a bank for old At Dusk photos taken at shows past. Please check it out. RSS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home