Sunday, November 18, 2007

my life, for some reason

Friday afternoon:
Cameron: ...so that's what I know about X so far...
Advisor: Hmm... that's weird. I think we need to know the answer to question Q before we can formulate something with bite.
Cameron: Um... okay.
(A week passes. Cameron doesn't get much solid time to think about Q, but by Friday morning, knows what the solution is roughly.)
Cameron: So you remember question Q--
Advisor: No, what was that?
Cameron: Oh well, it was...
Advisor: Why did we want to know that?
...
Cameron: So that's the answer to question Q.
Advisor: Well, I think that's neither here nor there. I think we need to know the answer to question Q' before we can formulate something with bite.
...

1 Comments:

Blogger Tyson said...

Ah, the glories of grad student life. Right now, I'm starting on final papers, whilst also trying to corral an orals committee (like herding cats. Cats that don't answer their email), whilst also kinda sorta beginning to think about dissertation topics. It's exciting and all, but it'll be get a bit of a break too.

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home