Monday, November 20, 2006

Against the Day

My copy of the new Pynchon tome "Against the Day" is en route, and while reading reviews I found the following list of names of minor characters: Ruperta Chirpingdon-Groin, Ellmore Disco, Stilton Gaspereaux, Chevrolette McAdoo, Ewball Oust, Lord and Lady Overlunch, and Eusapia Palladino. The following organizations are also involved: I.G.L.O.O. (Inter-Group Laboratory for Opticomagnetic Observation, "a radiational clearing-house"), I.M.R.O (the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization), L.A.H.D.I.D.A. (Las Animas-Huerfano Delegation of the Individual Defense Alliance), and T.W.I.T. (the True Worshippers of the Ineffable Tetractys). Also, it is 1120 pages long.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

... and I hope you don't take this to heart before you actually read the book, but I couldn't resist sharing what NYTimes' Michiko Kakutani has to say about it:

"Thomas Pynchon’s new novel, Against the Day, reads like the sort of imitation of a Thomas Pynchon novel that a dogged but ungainly fan of this author’s might have written on quaaludes. It is a humongous, bloated jigsaw puzzle of a story, pretentious without being provocative, elliptical without being illuminating, complicated without being rewardingly complex."

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home