Saturday, December 10, 2005

Marie Antoinette

Trailer for Sofia Coppola's new movie Marie Antoinette.

I dunno. I'm a little ambivalent. On the one hand, I really liked the Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation. And there's some good stuff in the trailer. On the other hand, ill-justified anachronisms drive me nuts. And it looks like it could fall into the usual historical movie pitfall: given a phenomenally broad and semantically rich subject, they almost always tell the narrowest, least interesting story possible.

Then again, Kirsten Dunst is hot. So that's good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cary said...

Looks good to me. And the music I think makes for a great little trailer - youthful exuberance, even if it's period, can't really be captured by the Kreutzer Sonata anymore...

Has anyone seen Sofia Coppola's first movie - "Lick The Stars" or some such? I didn't even knnow it existed until I just peaked at imdb. I'm curious....

I would also like to point out that I posted my best of the year list on my Valusint blog.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I saw Lick the Star. They used to show it all the time on IFC between repeated screenings of The Virgin Suicides. It's a black and white short about some high school (middle school?) girls who decide to poison the boys in their class -- Lick the Star is code for "Kill the Rats". It's super lo-fi and not especially stylish in the way I think of Coppola as being, but it's got some of her themes (as they come out in Virgin Suicides, especially).

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home